the process of becoming not me

This is the story of my journey from who I was, to who I am, to who I am becoming. It is the story of how God is weaving together my life, heart, and circumstances to make me something different altogether.

It is the process of becoming not me...



Saturday, March 30, 2013

foot washing

I washed my kids feet last night and not in the practical "come here your feet are filthy" kind of way that I do so many times a day that it is a completely thoughtless act.

It was impractical. It was purposeful. It was intentional. It was humbling.

and I didn't want to do it.

The truth of the matter is that yesterday was one of those particularly difficult days to be a mom for no particular reason at all. There wasn't any major event or trauma. It was just a seemingly endless marathon of whining and arguing and thanklessness and selfishness and impatience.  Just a day in the life, right?  To be honest, it wasn't just yesterday. It seems like it's been difficult for days, weeks, maybe even months.

I actually spent most of the day figuring out how to get out of doing it.

They won't understand.
They won't appreciate.
and then the final blow...
they don't deserve it.

And the tidal wave of conviction clothed in God's love and relentless pursuit crashed hard on me.

So that night during our family devotional, I opened my Bible to the book of John and I read to my whiny, argumentative, thankless, selfish and impatient kids the story of Jesus' whiny, argumentative, thankless, selfish and impatient disciples. I read how Jesus got down and washed the feet of His disciples.

They didn't understand.
They didn't appreciate it.
They certainly didn't deserve it...and neither did I

So then I filled up my basin with warm water and a drop of sweet lavender oil.  I placed a towel on my shoulder.  I knelt down and I called each of my children to me.  One by one, I gently and lovingly washed and dried each of their feet.

They probably didn't understand.
They probably didn't appreciate it.
They probably didn't deserve it.

But I needed to do it. 

I needed to love my whiny, argumentative, thankless, selfish and impatient kids the same way He has loved me, His whiny, argumentative, thankless, selfish, and impatient kid. I washed my kids feet last night even though I didn't want to

because the process of becoming not me is about becoming like Him.

1 comment:

Saran's Blog said...

I love this! Thank you for sharing!

Love,

Saran